Friday, November 20, 2009

Step away from the stress -- and share some inspiration

You know the feeling. There you are, waist deep in the troubles of the world, the stress of your life, and you just need to change the channel! Even for a minute!

It has been a long week. The news has not all been good. I was haunted by images of tragedy and violence and hatred this week. The news and the press seemed so full of hard things. I needed to "lift my eyes unto the hills" and find some higher ground, some inspiration, some sights and sounds and blogs that made me feel uplifted, encouraged.

I found myself going back to this video, a recording of "Stand By Me". You Tube says: "From the award-winning documentary, "Playing For Change: Peace Through Music", comes the first of many "songs around the world" being released independently. Featured is a cover of the Ben E. King classic by musicians around the world adding their part to the song as it travelled the globe."


So off I went in search of more inspiring things to share with you. It's a polyglot blend, to be sure -- but I am operating on the "some spiritual snack for everybody" rule. (I just made that rule up.) Here is how it goes.

"Assemble enough tasty morsels, and everyone gets to have at least one happy little nibble."

I had a few concerns. I didn't want to post anything that was a lie. I mean, between you and me, I don't think there is some magic happy-thought that will make all our troubles vanish. So I didn't want to post anything that was too Pollyanna-esque. I wanted things that inspired, uplifted.

But I know I missed a lot of them. That is where YOU come in. (Actually you never left.) Please post your inspirations, too.

We are all in this old world together, making sense out of it as we are able, lending a hand when we can. Let's share the goodness. Soul to Soul.

Free Hugs - An Australian man in Sydney gave away free hugs. Watch the video that made him famous, and then see the video that explains his story.






Maya Angelou - "And Still I Rise"


Michael Franti and Sey Hey -- This is here because I love it. It makes me happy. I always feel better after I watch it. "But I know one thing --I love you." That's enough for me!


Have a good weekend and week. Be thankful. Find joy. Share inspiration. Hug.
Especially hug.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gwennie said...

I've found that the Thich Nah Hanh description the "practice" of breathing has brought me into the now. Sounds silly when I write it but when I do, I smile, and I see what's around me.

Thanks for the suggestions

10:50 PM  
Blogger Mata H said...

Hi Gwennie

It is almost impossible to go wrong with Thich Naht Hanh's advice. Being present - living in the now -- is a wonderful thing.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Gwennie said...

Yep--even if my spelling is off. :-)

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed