Thursday, June 15, 2006

Another of my heros


In a week where the Episcopalians are meeting and discussing issues of inclusion, and in which my prayers ascend for them, I quoted Stringfellow. It is only fair that I add yet another brilliant and heart-ful Anglican to the lot : Desmond Tutu, Archbishop of South Africa, now retired.

In January 2005, ++ Desmond Tutu said :
"Jesus did not say, 'I if I be lifted up I will draw some', Jesus said, 'If I be lifted up I will draw all, all, all, all, all. Black, white, yellow, rich, poor, clever, not so clever, beautiful, not so beautiful. It's one of the most radical things. All, all, all, all, all, all, all, all. All belong. Gay, lesbian, so-called straight. All, all are meant to be held in this incredible embrace that will not let us go. All."

4 Comments:

Blogger mister tumnus said...

thanks. that has made me smile :)

7:07 AM  
Blogger Rainbow dreams said...

A great quote, thanks

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jayne said...

Beautiful... just like the man himself.

3:18 PM  
Blogger The Harbour of Ourselves said...

funny isn't it that Jesus was so damned inclusive, and yet the church.....hmmmm, exclusive is a word that springs to mind. the church believes in change, just as long as it doesn't amke any difference and still talks of a language of unity, but still dictates uniformity....thank god for men like the holy Revd

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed