Monday, September 04, 2006

Excuse Me While I Kiss the Sky!

I Am Determined

One regret, dear world,
That I am determined not to have
When I am lying on my deathbed
Is that
I did not kiss you enough.

--Hafiz, Persian mystic and poet


I woke up this morning with the blues. I am 56, divorced, unpartnered, no family, no children, alone in the world in that respect.

My next thought was of my beloved friends, and my dear godson. I immediately had a spiritual slap to my own face, for which I am eternally thankful.

I next went to the computer and clicked on a link in my favorites list. I clicked on the wrong one, and ended up on a site for Sufi poetry, and the above poem was on my screen.

OK God, I get it. Thanks!

I had forgotten for a second how very sweet each moment of life is. What a treasure. What an opportunity to be thankful. For something, for someone.

I went to google and found a prayer for my morning's turning.


i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;
this is the birthday of life and of love and wings:
and of the gay great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of all nothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)


-ee cummings

1 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

Mata - WONDERFUL post. I am almost 50, disabled, divorcing, suffering from PTSD from years of abusive relationships, converting to Judaism, single parenting 2 very challenging children and sometimes I feel like God's cosmic joke. Usually a good look at Rumi, Hafiz or the Zohar brings me back to my senses!!!

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed