Thursday, May 14, 2009

asking for help -- and getting it

It's been a rough week. I ended up with a nasty bout of bronchitis/asthma. Blood level oxygen in lousy place. Long story shorter: On oxygen 24/7 for a week at home with steroids and antibiotics and a nebulizer to spritz asthma medicine into my lungs, and a fancy-schmantzy nasal inhaler. Doctor looking concerned and using the phrase "life threatening".

A week later - off steroids, done with antibiotics, still on 24/7 oxygen (but seen as a temporary measure). Blood level oxygen still not great, but very improved. Nebulizer and inhaler optional. Next appointment with doctor in 12 days. Doctor smiling and using words such as "improved".

It has been tough to ask for help, to call friends and ask for favors. My friends have been uniformly fabulous. They have offered their help. They call daily. They appear at my door with fresh fruit. They take my dog for walks. They let me know they are loving me.

Me.

This air-gasping, graying-haired, hopelessly flawed sick person.

They love me.

God is managing to wave big grace bouquets in front of my face like armloads of scent-heavy lilacs.




Look, you silly woman, look how much love is in the world -- what keeps you from smiling? What keeps you from gratitude? The lilac blossoms are everywhere, showering down, filling my room with color and scent and grace.

Thank you friends; thank you God.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

((((Mata)))) Wish I were closer... I'd be there as well with chicken soup and a hug.

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Deena said...

I'm so glad you're 'improved'. That sounds like a scary bout of exacerbations. I have asthma, too, but have *never* had to be on 24/7 oxygen. Needing help reminds us that we're human. :) I'm glad there were people there for you when the need arose!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed