Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Illegal Immigrants - Just "Microchip 'Em!"

The Cedar Rapids Gazette reports that a Republican candidate for the 3rd District Congressional primary in Iowa, physician Pat Bertroche, proposed the following "solution" to the undocumented alien problem.

“I think we should catch ’em, we should document ’em, make sure we know where they are and where they are going,” said Pat Bertroche, an Urbandale physician. “I actually support micro-chipping them. I can micro-chip my dog so I can find it. Why can’t I micro-chip an illegal?

“That’s not a popular thing to say, but it’s a lot cheaper than building a fence they can tunnel under,” Bertroche said.


Yes, you read that correctly. An educated man, a physician, actually thinks it is a good idea to round up all the illegal immigrants, take down names and follow all of them around via a microchip. He does this comparing illegal immigrants to his dog. He is, however aware that his statement is "not popular".

Not popular? Oh, it's more than that. It's racist. When I read the article in the Huffington Post I thought for sure it was satire. But no. It checks out.

Dr. Bertroche by the way, is an Osteopathic doctor practicing clinical psychiatry in Des Moines. He says , "I want to put intelligence back into the national debate."

Looks like he missed that goal.

It is impossible to even reach for a rational response to comments such as his. But they are testimony to a brand of racism so widespread that an actual candidate thinks he can use it as part of his platform.

What other sort of bigotry will be flushed out from under rocks by the latest legislative actions in Arizona?

Pat Betroche has a website and an email address. If you'd like to send him an email, his site lists his email address as PatBertroche4Congress@yahoo.com

His public business website for his psychiatric practice, lists his email address as (and I am not kidding) Mindjockey@aol.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed