Tuesday, May 11, 2010

On aging

Well, I got though Mother's Day well. I still miss my Mom, but now it is with a sense of sweetness. Oh, I'd still give a great deal to have her here and healthy, but that is not to be. Missing her is all a part of aging.

It seems to me that the older we get the more we have to deal with loss. It is like one of Piaget's developmental hurdles -- but this time for adults. Dealing With Loss.

Every year there is more of it -- the loss of loved ones, the loss of energy, the loss of agility, muscle tone, employability, acuity, even the loss of hair -- the loss of the ability to imagine life 50 years from now, or 40...

But once one "gets it" -- the fact that loss is natural, and that the only way to live is "in the now", then a real and very deep sweetness happens. The"letting go" feels good, and true in a profound way.

Life, as they say, is good.

1 Comments:

Blogger abb said...

It really is...

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed