Saturday, February 04, 2006

Keys. Birds. Mindfulness.

Last week I loaned my front door key to someone I know who was delivering packages to my front door. (long story) The packages were delivered and the key was returned. I put the key on a bureau.

Fast forward a few days.

Now I am leaving for a friend's house in Massachusetts. As I am dashing out the back door I notice the key, which I have yet to re-attach to my keychain. I stuff it in my pocket and head out, thinking that I would reattach it when I got to Massachusetts.

Fast forward a few days.

I remember the key. But I cannot find it. It is not in my purse, not in my pocket, not on the keyring, not in my car, not in my luggage. I check the floor in the room I undressed in. No key. I email my friend in Massachusetts asking her to look for the key, please. No luck.

A total of two weeks pass.

Then I am walking to my car, taking the back stairs, as I have every day for two weeks. There, on the pavement at the very base of the stairs, in a place so obvious one would have to be blind to miss it, is my key. I should point out that other tennants use these stairs. It seems that all of us just plain missed it. For two weeks.

How bizarre is that?

I was reading some of Thich Nat Hahn's writing on mindfulness. Could it be that I missed the key over and over because I was not being mindful? I am a birdwatcher. I know what happens when I shift focus and begin to watch for birds. Suddenly I see them where they always were, but my being mindful of them allows me to see them. Yet in the course of a busy day I am likely to not notice them. On a busy day a bird could land on my head and I would almost miss it.

How would my day change if I mindfully watched for peace or joy or love?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

Howcould I have missed that you finally got a blog, when it's been here in plain site all this time?

11:14 PM  
Blogger Maggie Rose said...

the key to remembering to be mindful. good blog. I'm looking forward to visiting...hope you don't object to my linking your blog on mine...just easier to move around on a daily basis. Maggie, a.k.a. "softsilk"

8:00 PM  
Blogger P.S. (an after-thought) said...

DH and I find we are mindful of different things. It is a good thing too, as I can usually find things he loses. He corrects my verbal mistakes.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed