Thursday, October 12, 2006

Silly saved things

Well, the bedroom closet and large highboy bureau are 100% organized and sorted now. I left the closet door open all day so that when I walked into the room I could appreciate the sight of everything hanging so perfectly, things so perfectly folded.

I did -- however -- save some silly things -- things I might have given away or discarded. This seems like an OK place to confess them :-)

1. Some pieces of scandalous lingerie from a memorable past relationship. I just didn't have the heart to part with them, even though the proportional curves do no longer match my own.

2. A box of about 50-60 handkerchieves, all linen, all hand embroidered or with hand made lace of any of a zillion colors around the edges -- all done by my long-departed godmother. The work is extraordinary. I don't have any idea what to do with them -- thoughts??? Such work and love went into them I couldn't just let them go.

3. A pair of multi color (red/purple/black/dark blue/dark gold) suede shoes with dazzlingly high heels and pointed toes. Lordy me, who could let these go?

4. A huge bag of photographs. I should probably sort through them, but I had just reached that point when I couldn't make one more decision.

5. A crocheted afgan in chartreuse and forest green -- ghastly colors together - in a flame stich. But my Auntie Jo made it for me. It's in my closet, out of sight, but I like having it around.

6. My mother's old eyeglasses.

It is odd what vestigial items we chose to keep -- what shreds of life trigger old memories of a world long gone. I look at my little list and think what a sentimental old poot I have grown up to be, but even so, I rather like that. It was sweet today to really look at the work involved in crocheting elaborate lace around a handkerchief. I like that there used to be days when that mattered, and that I knew someone for whom it mattered, who took the time and energy needed to make one simple small lovely thing out of thread and time.

I like being reminded of my own outrageousness -- it's been a bit too long since that part of me has been out to play, and that should change.

These items - that which we save, that which we discard -- all form such a richly topographical map of our lives. Each choice, pragmatic or sentimental, foolish or sensible, adds to the landscape of our lives - creates things that we manage to touch over and over, reminding our hands of the skin of a lover, or the images of trips around the world. It is good to save such things, to create occasions for contact with them, of only to remind ourselves that not all joys need be new.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

I love your list of kept things and the memories they invoke. Reading about it made me smile broadly. Indeed, some things are worth keeping and touching.

7:00 AM  
Blogger awareness said...

I found you on Harbour's blog.....

I love this list. I too have a closet that contain keepsakes from the past that are tucked in with the present. And guess what? I too have a box of hankies that are trimmed with lace. They were my great grandmothers....all done with her hands.

I also wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your post on long forgotten Saints......

Enjoy your weekend.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed