Thursday, June 10, 2010

Yesterday Would Have Been My Mother's 92nd Birthday

My Mom died about 15 years ago. She was a great gal, and I still miss her. One of the last things she said to me was that if she could find a way to communicate with me from beyond this life, that she would surely do it. You'd have to know my Mom to understand that if anyone could pull this off, she would even beat Houdini (who said he would do the same thing.)

So, I had out of town company yesterday, my dear friend, Leora. She arrived with a house gift -- essence of rose petals. She didn't know that was my Mother's signature scent. What a coincidence.

We talked about gardening. Of course it was no big deal that my Mom was an avid gardener. It WAS a big deal when I went into a long-unused "junk drawer" later, looking for something, and pulled out a plastic envelope of pictures I didn't know I had --pictures of my Mom's old garden. Coincidence.

There was only one picture in the envelope that was not of the garden. Only one. It was my mother's gravesite. (I guess that was to make the message clear.) I have no idea who took these photos -- maybe my Dad -- maybe Mom herself years ago.

So I got dressed to go out to an auction with my friend Leora. She had never been to one, and I thought it might be fun. I reached into my jewelry box to get a necklace, and ended up with one I hadn't intended to take off the loop. It was the pendant (a gold heart) that Mom was wearing when she died. I had forgotten I had it.

Oh, and auctions? I hadn't even thought of her birthday when I planned it -- but auctions were among her favorite things to attend. She loved them.

So on the drive there, we stopped off at the cemetery to say hi -- not that she is there, but it is a monument to her. (More on that in another post.)

I know the message, and it is one I echoed in my eulogy to her at her funeral -- "Nothing, especially not something as trivial as death, can conquer love."

So Mom, if you are reading this over my shoulder, Happy Birthday.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

Sounds to me as if she was letting you know loud and clearly that she is with you. ;c)

6:24 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Ramsey said...

I'm so glad those coincidences happened. God's comfort comes in interesting ways.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Judi said...

My sister and I had similar experiences after my mother passed away last September. I definitely believe that she was making contact with us and letting us know that shw was OK. I haven't noticed anything recently but it is nice to know that even 15 years later, mothers are visiting their daughters with messages of love and connection.

I have started a page on my own blog for people to share these kinds of stories. I would be honored if you would visit the page and leave your thoughts there http://www.desperatecaregivers.com/from-over-the-river

12:20 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I was intrigued with your post title and came over from Jayne's. Very interesting and touching to read about you and your mom and the lovely coincidences that worked for her to say hello to you. Nothing is a coincidenc. Happy birthday to your mom. P. S. The 10th is one of my daughter's birthdays, too!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No it can't. Have a good weekend! Regards, KL

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed