Sunday, November 05, 2006

Seeing The Intention

I just had a conversation with a woman who has been my friend for many years. We have seen each other through some very deep chasms and celebrated on some very high mountaintops. In summary, we know the best and worst about each other because of a lomg and enduring friendship.

At one point in the conversation she said something very simple and very loving about my general character. It was the product of years of observing and being summed up by someone. I must say I was stunned and very moved. I felt that what she had seen was the best of my intentions. She had seen the way I want to be in the world. I felt, beheld. I have been carrying that feeling with me all evening.

It made me wonder how may people I tell the simple and best truths to about themselves -- letting them know that I see the deepest best of who they are. I need to do this more -- to reflect back more the basic goodness in those around me. Those I love should feel as cared about as I do right now, as summed up, as found worthy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

Many times, we just assume people know how we see them and what we see in them, yet hearing it in words makes such a huge impact. How wonderful that you have someone in your life to reflect it back so lovingly to you. We should all take the time to do so.

6:47 AM  
Blogger The Harbour of Ourselves said...

I agree we do need to see the best of ourselves and others more - i think we breed a culture of isolation and cynicism and so see the ugly and what we think is worth taking the piss out of

The whole mine field of having better self worth is summed up in a line from that terrible movie 'pretty woman', when gere suggests to roberts, 'but you can be so much more', she responds with the heart-breakingly true statement, that 'the bad stuff is easier to believe'

how we begin to heal that mindset is another, but necessary challenge altogether

great post!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

We all long to know and be known, to love and be loved, to celebrate and be celebrated...that's the goal of what we do in my church, secondary to hoping to lead people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus. I knew I loved this group of people when I realized that they take that goal seriously. For the first time in my life, I feel KNOWN.

I am curious - what, exactly, did your friend share with you? Can you tell us?

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed