Thursday, April 12, 2007

Rain and Prayer


It has rained all day -- a cold spring rain that feels more like a fall rain. It feels like the beginning of cold, not the end. It has inspired me to snuggle down in my comforter. I have had lots of tea. Read some. Cooked some. Domestic things. And every time I get inside the comforter, all snuggled into the warmth of it, with the sound of rain pelting my windows outside, every time - -I pray. There is something about the cadence of rain that is like prayer -- random but persisting. Or maybe it is the safe feeling I have when it is cold and rainy outside and cozy inside. But I love the rain. I love watching it, smelling air that is wet with it, seeing it make the world glisten.

When it is warm I stroll through it, and take long deep breaths of its earth-scent.

And it makes me pray. The prayers are quick - little pitter-patter prayers, snapshot prayers, snippets of intention -- but prayers nonetheless.

The rain is like the sound of a celestial telegraph key, and my prayers the dots and dashes that sing along its staccato.

7 Comments:

Blogger alto artist said...

Oh, I love that last line!--I can just feel the air and rain and spirit as I read it.
--aa.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Jayne said...

I can close my eyes and imagine you there in that comforter and can hear the rain along with you... You have such a gift in making words so visible and powerful my friend. Sending big hugs.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That last sentence is gorgeous, thank you.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Iris said...

I agree. You are truly a poet.

5:41 PM  
Blogger will smama said...

Thank you for putting into words far better than I ever could why I turned off the tv yesterday and just laid down near a window.

Welcome to revgals!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

wonderful post- I love the sound of rain too- even when I'm camping- rain on a tent roof is always soothing somehow...
That last sentence was inspired- thank you...
btw- welcome to revgals

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy the rain, too, and enjoyed reading your post. Welcome!

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed