Saturday, June 02, 2007

A New Holiday (I just created it myself!)

I have no authority to create a holiday, but if I did, this weekend would be "The Celebration of Small Joys".

Though we are all beset and besieged, though we all have deep obligations and each bear our share of suffering and pain -- the truth is there is always something, however small, to celebrate.

During this weekend of "The Celebration of Small Joys", everyone would look forward to finding and honoring the small treasures in their lives -- the joys we often overlook in passing, in the hurry of our lives -- the way you feel when your child smiles, the glint of sunlight on morning dew, the tingle on your taste buds when you drink orange juice.

There are so many wonderful tiny elements in a day - the feel of talcum after a shower, climbing into a bed with clean sheets after having taken a warm bath, the smell of floral soap, the scent of morning coffee, the way the butter looks as it melts on toast.

Celebrate the sudden little miracle of a shooting star, the coolness of water, a tugging at the memory by a familiar old song, the scent of new leather shoes, the ability to see or hear or feel or taste or touch.

All of these little joys circle us constantly. Yet we barely pause to acknowledge them. Except on this weekend, when the Small Joy is what we most welcome.

And in so doing, we will lift our focus and our energy into a new place.

I say this not as a Pollyanna, not in an attempt to avoid the tough things in life, but as a pragmatist who knows that our souls need to be fed to survive. Our spirits need the warm glow of joy even if only on the very tip edges in order to stay hopeful, to stay forward-moving.

So this weekend, find the joys -- find a way to honor them. As you encounter little joys, come here and help us all by listing them.

May you all have a joyful weekend.

Happy "Weekend of the Small Joys"!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

Celebrating small joys... I love it! The sound of Sam running downstairs to greet me (as if I'd been gone for weeks) each time I come home and he's been here with Dad waiting for me was a joy yesterday.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

What a great idea. My weekend is almost over now, but I need to take this with me through the week.
ruth

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen!!

M.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear hear! I lift a symbolic glass to celebrating small joys. You said it so well!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed