Friday, October 22, 2010

Computer flood and perspective

Saturday night I went upstairs from my basement office thinking all was well. On Sunday I went downstairs to check email around noon. I screamed. My computer, printer, cable modem, router and a ton of paperwork were standing underneath what looked like an indoor rain shower that had been going on for many hours. I threw down towels and grabbed cords, pulling them out of the power strip that had shut down. I tried to get things out of harm's way, but it was too late. Harm had been done.

I work from home. It is not an option to be without a computer. After getting a plumber out on a $unday to fix the leak in my pipe above my desk, the week has been a dizzying array of telephone calls to my insurance agent, my actual insurance company, the cable company, handymen, etc. The whole week is a blur. I still have yet to see an adjuster, but I got a new iMac, had the cable company put in a new modem and am working below a hole in my ceiling on a trashed out oak desktop.

I went through the drill, called all the right people, assembled documentation, and now am waiting. I shocked myself with how non-freaked out I was. I knew I was doing all that I could do. After a certain point one has to just let things unfold.

My getting flipped out would not have advanced my cause.

When I was in my 20's and 30's I did not know that.

So I suppose that awareness of spiritual change is a happy thing. Why not? It's better to focus on that then the fact that I am still waiting for the adjuster to call.

I found myself laughing Monday when the lawn guys were reseeding the burned out parts of my little half acre, while the handyman was putting up these magic plastic things on my porch windows to keep the cold out, while my friend's grandson was transplanting shrubbery for me, while the furnace repairman was cleaning my furnace and installing a "non-metallic sheath" to my fuel line so that it was insurable under a new law (for any fuel spills). That was the day after the plumber and the day before the gal who helps me clean every few weeks. So it's been quite the week. Open wallet and hear the sound "Cha--CHING!"

Oh well. I had some good breaks. The plumber worked much less expensively than I thought he would. All in all, everyone had a fair and reasonable price and I had the money to pay it. So life is good. The various events may have felt annoying, but what is that? Not much.

I have people in my life who love me, whom I love right back. I have a nice roof over my head. Good neighbors. A swell dog. Food in the pantry and fridge and freezer. I live in America. My friends are great.

So, did I tell you I had a wonderful week?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

I love this. Indeed... it's all in one's perspective, isn't it? :c) Hugs (and a towel) to you my friend.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Michelle Murrain said...

Yes, I love this too. A very buddhist approach. :-) Hope things are cleaning up OK.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Gaea Yudron said...

Oboy. Sometimes the more mellow perspective of the older person really comes in handy. Best to you on recovering from the flood.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all about perspective and counting our blessings - I just forget that too often!

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed