Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thievery Update

Well, I thank God for compassionate bankers. Esther was my banker -- she is from Budapest and is an angel. She helped me go through two months of statements to ferret out false charges. I had not checked my balance over the holidays -- I know, that was stupid. I know.

It was hugely stupid - so stupid I am not even going to tell you how much those thieves got me for. I can and will get it back. I filed papers today and will go to the police department tomorrow. It will take up to 30 days for full restitution. Charges were as far flung as Scotland and Dubai.

A fellow Contributing Editor, Maria Niles, at BlogHer.org, (where I am the Religion and Spirituality CE, by the way) wrote a great article about Identity Theft that is a primer of what to do in case it happens. It is worth reading, printing out and keeping handy just in case. A big hug and tip of the mouse to Maria who wrote this when I sent a plea to the other BlogHer editors for info/help.

Read her stuff. Make a copy. Remember, I was one of those people who said .."oh, no...never to ME!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

So glad you had some compassionate person to help you through it all Mata. The article was very timely and informative and I've printed it off. I hope the nightmare will soon be over.

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed