Thursday, September 13, 2007

Getting there, getting there



Ok...so I woke up this morning at 3.30 am so that I could be on the road at 4.30 am to drive to Massachusetts for a 9 am inspection of my possible house-to-be. The good news is that the inspection showed some problems, but not unsurmountable problems. And the sellers seem willing to be flexible. So.......I handed over a deposit and we are now "under contract for the house". All I have to do is formally get the mortgage (already in the works) and pay a ton of money. I am bracing myself for what will be a huge sucking sound every time I open my wallet from now til at least January.

I am anxious, and a bit scared. I have never owned a home before. But I have had great advisors helping me along, a super realtor and fine friends. So despite the anxiety, the knotted up tummy, the feeling of being overwhelmed -- you know what?

I'm happy.

I took a close look at the front door today. It'll be perfect in red.

I drove back to NJ and ran into my landlady of the past 10 years, a dear woman who could not have been a better landlady. I told her I was buying a house and we both got teary and hugged each other. She is happy for me, but wishes me well and is flexible about my end date here as she knows I want to overlap for about a month while work is being done on the new place.

It's funny and ironic that the very same week that this home became available to me that my old house (the one in which I grew up) became available for sale. For a long time I had thought I might want to live there -- but this time when it was actually possible to do it -- I shook my head no and moved on.

I want MY house.

To ravage the familiar old lyrics:


My house is a very, very fine house
with a great pooch in the yard, life used to be so hard,
now everything is easy cause I'm home.


Well, almost home -- on the way home.

Thanks be to God.

8 Comments:

Blogger RevJen said...

Congratulations on the house! May it be home for many years to come. Jeanny

11:49 PM  
Blogger Jayne said...

I am smiling from ear to ear! Can't wait to see that red door. Congratulations friend... you are home! HUGS!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yay! Love the picture and can't wait to see more. So happy for you!!!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Mata H said...

Thanks for the kind wishes -- I know it must have been crazy for you out there to have to say "Congratulations" and then "Keep Your Chin Up" back and forth so many times....but it seems this one is finally home. Home, what a thought!!!! (grinning here )

11:55 AM  
Blogger debra said...

Red doors ARE good luck (we have one--my Christmas gift a few years back was a quart of red paint)!
Best wishes for joyous and loving times

12:33 PM  
Blogger toujoursdan said...

Wanted to let you know that there is a gathering of online bloggers on Oct 22 at General Theological Seminary in Chelsea. If you're still around, come!

See: Of Course I could be in New York

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know you personally, Mata, but I've been following your home search for awhile now. Can't explain why, but I'm so relieved things are looking good now. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Mata H said...

Thanks everyone! Big hugs to all who have been so supportive and loving!

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed