Sunday, August 12, 2007

Latest Update on House drama

It seems that is my prime focus these days -- getting a house. Well, I am closer today than I have been during this whole search. I saw a house I loved. I placed a bid. Waited. Waited. The house, it seems, is in foreclosure, so it is bank owned and they apparently take longer to reply.

Well, they countered my offer. Which means we are in the thick of negotiations. It could still fall thru at any second, but I have now submitted by counter to theirs.
So, as I said, we are closer.

I have to refrain from too much imagining -- planning where the Christmas tree will go, imagining the smell and sight of the fireplace burning during a cold winter's night, deciding what color to repaint all the rooms, wondering what sort of things to plant in the front yard.

Anyway, as anxiety producing as the whole prospect is, it is also exciting in a wonderful way. I am that much closer to being able to have a dog, being able to have all my possessions in one place, being able to start up a new business, and generally being able to get along with the business of my life.

PLUS I got news from the auction gallery that they have identified the maker of the grandfather clock that I have put up for auction -- Philip Brown of Hopkinton, NH. The clock was made in 1810-1815. As the original owners were first the Tucker family from Henniker, NH and then the Newton family from Henniker, I am trying to contact whomever I can who is interested in their family's genealogy, and also museums and historical sites in that area to get them in touch with Skinner Auctions before the auction on September 20th. I know that if I had a chance to have such a lovely clock from my family's past that far back, I might try to buy it. There is a whole history of each owner inside the clock put there by the man who bought it at auction in 1906. It states (with a lot more detail):

The earliest owner is Thomas Tucker Jan 4, 1781 -April 1, 1853). Mr Tucker was married to his wife Charlotte on April 29,1804. They had 13 children. Mr Tucker served with the Henniker Rifle Group in NH and was deputy sheriff. Mr Tucker sold the clock in 1826 to Solomon Newton of Henniker(b. 10/14/1783), husband of Sarah Colby whom he married in 1809.

So I am hoping that gets noticed. The clock really is lovely and has a melodious chime and a very pretty face. If I were not in the midst of financing a house and move, I would keep it -- but I am also interested in divesting myself of all the "stuff" that I have that I really do not need.

So if y'all know any Tuckers related to Thomas Tucker, or any Newtons related to Solomon Newton, please tell them that their family's heirloom awaits them !!!




7 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

Waiting with bated breath...and crossed fingers/toes.

What a wonderful story of the clock. I do hope you are able to find some family. I can't imagine they would not love to have it. Have a lovely day Mata.

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, with 13 children there is bound to be SOME relative with a possible interest! Hard to imagine these days to have so many kids.

Good luck with the negotiations; if it is a foreclosure you should be able to walk away with a good deal. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Mata.

3:52 PM  
Blogger toujoursdan said...

Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am interested in the clock for genealogy.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am interested in the clock.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Mata H said...

To Henniker:

If you are seriously interested in bidding on the clock, it has been consigned to Skinner Auctions, Inc in Bolton, Massachusetts for auction on September 20th. You do not have to be present to bid. The head of the Skinner clock department, Mr Robert Cheney can answer any advance questions that you may have. I will add some pictures to this post as well. Skinner's number is 978.779.6241. Their web site is skinnerinc.com. It is a beautiful clock! Thanks for asking about it.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news! Antique grandfather clocks seem to be rare these days, and you're lucky to have at least own one.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed