Friday, June 08, 2007

New attitude

How on earth can you stand listening to me whine like I have been? I am blocked -- I am mired down -- I am depressed -- blah blah blah. Yes, all those things are true -- I have been struggling lately, and still am. But I don't need to burden everything I touch and every breath I breathe with what is not going well.

I am about to leave for "Up North" and am packing up-tempo CDs to listen to in the car -- and I plan to pray out a lot of gratitude to God on the way. How many people in the world would be delighted to have problems as trivial as mine? Millions, that is how many.

So it is time to just gird my aging loins and push through this time with positive action. Indulging the blues is just not getting me anywhere. Besides, it's like forgetting to be thankful for all the goodness that is in my life.

I am driving a comfy (thank you) paid-for (thank you) late model good-with-gas-mileage (thank you) car to a place I love (thank you) where I plan to buy my first home (thank you) and will be staying with friends (Thank you). While there I will see my 85 year old cousin Ida whom I love (thank you. I am meeting with the appraiser because I own things of value to have apppraised (thank you). I will return to my comfortable apartment (thank you) where the rent is paid (thank you) and I have a lovely landlady (thank you). And that is just the tip of my gratitude mountain.

Anyway, feel free to kick my buns into thankfulness whenever you see me indulging them.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it amazing each time we realize that we are beloved even when we are mucked in, whining, or twisting in the wind?

((((Mata))))

hope you have a graced trip, my friend.

Maggie Rose

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gratefulness and gracefulness often walk hand-in-hand. The Calm sounds good on you.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Jayne said...

The important thing is that we are given the grace to let all the frustration out and then focus on everything that IS right. Love to you friend!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thank you, indeed.

Gratitude works.

I think of you often, because on a daily basis I am given opportunities to remind myself - and others - that a slight shift in attitude makes ALL the difference. I did so yesterday, counseling a single father trying to navigate the challenges of his son failing the 8th grade, physical problems, anger management, challenging relationships, etc. He was beating himself up, finding no joy in anything; a short conversation about gratitude made a huge impact on this man.

So, thank you to YOU for sharing words of wisdom that filter down to people that you'll never, ever see; one man had a better day because of the words you shared with me so many months ago...

Rock on.
Don't worry.
Be happy.
And THANKFUL!

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that you have a wonderful trip. It's hard, sometimes, to set aside things that are dissatisfactions and look at ways our lives are abundant with gifts and grace.

Look me up when you get settled!

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed