Friday, June 19, 2009

Father's Day

I wish I had the kind of Dad whom I could just flat-out celebrate on Father's Day. It was a rough relationship.

Enough said about that. Dad passed away a few years ago, and he is beyond change on this plane.

I don't want to go through the rest of my life grounded in the hard stuff. There were also good times, times when we were fishing or gardening together, playing badminton, walking in the park, times when I was really young. I'm thankful for those times, and choose to hold them up to the light, fractured vessel though they may be in.

I can choose where I focus. Lingering with the unkindness only prolongs it. I know what it is, and have addressed it over the years in many ways. Now it is time to lay down those sorrows, to put down the burden of that suffering and to move on.

Dad, for what you could do, and did do that was healthy and loving -- I thank you. Happy Father's Day from the corner of how we got it right. There is room enough to stand here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

((((Mata))))

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed