Sunday, June 22, 2008

Zoe the Wonder Dog -- I wonder what she'll do next?



Well, Zoe is having one adventure after another. Her vet visit was remarkable. She howled like a banshee who was being clawed apart by meathooks when the vet tried to insert her microchip. The vet laughed and said to me:

"I want you to notice two things -- first, Zoe's tail is wagging. Second, I have yet to even touch her with the needle!"

Zoe the Drama Queen.

Ah, she is a pooch of many personalities. The pooch who decided the trash can was a treat barrel is named "Princess Hairball". That is her alter-ego, one she rarely inhabits, especially now that I have purchased a different kitchen trash can with a pedal and lid.

She loves company -- and cons them into taking her for walks by gazing at them and her leash back and forth until they ask me if I mind them walking her. In this manner she gets to display her treasures to the neighborhood -- her Danny, her Holly, her Sandy.
Yes, all that touch her become hers, drawn in by the spell of her little black eyes and winsome look.

She has learned to play with toys -- She has demolished the Blue Elephant of Terribleness, ignores the You-Can't-Fool-Me Rubber Hamburger, and enjoys bouncing around with the Friendly Teddy Bear. However the Mean Duck Toy gets trashed around frequently, but its elemental nature appears to not have changed.

She doesn't like "doing her business" if the grass is too long or if it is wet. This is "Princess Zoe" in full effect. Trust me, she eventually works it out, but she is not happy about it and gives me bad looks throughout. She does act like she has a Regal Butt Which Must Stay Dry.

At night she curls into a ball and dozes off nestled in the crook of my arm. It pretty much melts me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Padre Mickey said...

I must say that Zoe the Wonder Dog has a lot in common with Señorita Chompita Wiggletail, the Cutest Dog in All the Americas™. She regularly tears up Bunrab, the Filthiest Toy in the House, and won't even go on "walkies" if it is too wet outside (which is quite difficult with us living in Panama during the Rainy Season). Long or wet grass is strictly verboten.

Saludos a Zoe; she is very cute!

7:52 PM  
Blogger Rhea said...

When I got my puppy I had promised myself he would never sleep on my bed with me. He did one night, and well, ever since he's been on my bed. It's sweet.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Mata H said...

I would LOVE to hear any ideas about how to encourage Zoe to do her "bizness" in wet grass. This is getting tedious!!


Rhea -- when I was interviewed about taking a rescue dog they asked "What are your opinions about dogs on the furniture." I said "Well....I encourage it, but I don't insist on it." The gal had to pause before she laughed out loud. I just draw the line at the kitchen/dr chairs and table.

10:15 AM  
Blogger debra said...

It's been a while since I've been here, Mata. We have 3 dogs, 2 of whom are rescues. Misty weighed 13 lbs when we got her (she's now 38#), fearful of everything, with a hip injury (kicked?). Winston had, like Zoe, been left in a crate all day. He was also the only surviving puppy of his litter---the mother had destroyed all the other puppies. We were his 3rd home---his last chance.He was so sensitive to touch that he couldn't tolerate being brushed or petted. He licked himself and everything else constantly. He's much better---9 yrs later, but still has lots of issues. Then there's Lily. She's a toy poodle. Getting over a bladder/kidney infection.
if Zoe was crated most of the day, she may not have had much experience in wet grass. Can you give her a treat when you take her out so she associates going out---and peeing etc---with treats?
Good luck---and it's good to be here again (I had originally found you on BlogHer when my Dad had a stroke last June---he died last July 2)

9:13 AM  
Blogger LutheranChik said...

What a sweetie! (Hey...long time no read!)

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed